DCDD is looking for a new Jazz Band Director! Interested or know someone who might fit the role? Read all about the details in the press release below:
Jazz Band Director search and position information
Search Announcement and Organization Information
D.C.’s Different Drummers (DCDD) announces a search to fill the position of Jazz Band Director. Applications are due by September 1, 2022. Full application details are included at the end of this announcement.
D.C.’s Different Drummers is a lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community, non-profit, music organization welcoming ALL musicians as it fosters pride, inclusivity, and engagement with the greater Washington, D.C. region through music.
The DCDD Jazz Band performs at numerous venues in the National Capital Region including at the DC Public Library, Capitol Hill Arts Workshop, DC’s Capital Pride Festival, Eastern Market’s Mr. Henry’s, and Old Town Alexandria’s Torpedo Factory, along with other events, swing dances, and holiday concerts held in conjunction with the Symphonic Band. We have a particular love for the Big Band Era repertoire but also enjoy playing other jazz styles. In addition to planned concerts, we are also available for hire at private events. Rehearsals are held in fall, winter, and spring, (typically August – April), at Capitol Hill’s Lutheran Church of the Reformation every Wednesday evening from 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The group typically consists of 12-20 participating musicians.
DCDD’s full membership includes over 125 people with additional ensembles that cover classical, jazz, contemporary, concert band, marching music, and winter guard. We perform all around the DC metro region and bring LGBTQ+ and allied musicians together for musical performance, educational and community outreach, and social connections. Most of our ensembles are non-audition and some of our members have not picked up an instrument in decades, so everyone is encouraged to join!
Position Title: DCDD Jazz Band Director
The DCDD Jazz Band Director will work with the Jazz Band Assistant Director, DCDD Board of Directors (Board) and the Artistic Committee to set the artistic vision for the DCDD Jazz Band. The DCDD Jazz Band Director is a member of the Artistic Committee. The DCDD Jazz Band Director may collaborate and assist the other DCDD ensemble directors and any other recognized DCDD ensembles, to establish a consistent artistic vision for DCDD. Final artistic decisions will be left to the Director of the specific ensembles in question.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Director shall serve along with the Jazz Band Assistant Director on the Artistic Committee as appointed by the DCDD Board, and other persons appointed by the Board to develop and implement all DCDD performances. Such duties include, but are not limited to: o Selection and interpretation of music and theme of each performance; o Coordinate the use of guest soloists, groups, and performers; o Work towards a consistent level of quality and artistic excellence among all DCDD ensembles; o Prepare and present to the DCDD Board of Directors a proposed annual musical calendar by the regularly scheduled June Board meeting; communicate with the Board regarding scheduling and approval of DCDD performance requests; and o Submit annual budget recommendations for artistic components (i.e., membership training, musical equipment, paid performers, uniforms, equipment, sheet music, and other items as deemed necessary) for each ensemble by June of each year.
- Lead and provide primary musical direction for the DCDD Jazz Band.
- In coordination with the Artistic Committee, establish annual goals and programming for the next season related to the artistic direction and growth of the DCDD Jazz Band and its membership. This is to be presented to the Board of Directors no later than the June Board meeting for approval.
- Act as a resource for smaller ensembles to help foster growth and musicianship.
- Actively communicate with membership and leadership. I
- Identify the requirements for suitable facilities for rehearsals and performances so adequate facilities can be obtained.
- Determine suitability of members to perform if they have missed more than the number of rehearsals allowed under the DCDD attendance policy.
- Communicate and coordinate with the Production/Logistics Committee regarding production and equipment needs for the DCDD rehearsals and performances.
- Communicate and coordinate with the Membership Committee regarding recruitment and instrumentation needs. ● Provide advocacy for the organization by speaking to community members and the media on behalf of DCDD.
- Serve as an ex-officio (non-voting) member of the DCDD Board of Directors following the same attendance policy as other Board members. If unable to attend, they may designate a person to attend Board meetings in their place.
- Act within DCDD bylaws, policies, procedures, and rulings made by the Board of Directors.
- Failure to perform the duties and responsibilities listed above may result in the activation of the dispute resolution process.
Honorarium, Benefits, and Responsibilities of the DCDD Board of Directors in Return
- We anticipate DCDD will provide an honorarium of a minimum of $3,000 which will be paid in 4 installments. Please note that the 2022/2023 budget is set to be approved by the Membership in early August.
- DCDD will provide a “Miscellaneous Reimbursement” in the amount of a minimum of $200 to be used for professional development to purchase books or attend classes or seminars in order to improve skills to the performance of the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- The DCDD Jazz Band Director will not pay dues.
- The Board shall provide a publicity plan for membership growth and concert promotion in support of the annual artistic calendar; this plan shall be presented at the September meeting of the Board of Directors.
- Honorarium payments are made in October, January, April, and July of fiscal year 2022/2023.
- Experience as a band director or lead musician for 2+ years
- Experience supporting and working with the LGBTQIA+ community
- The Director must be comfortable serving as a public representative of an LGBTQIA+ organization.
- Interest and ability to develop an artistic vision for a community performance ensemble with goals to increase membership numbers, and develop musical skill and the quality of performance
- Experience as a jazz band director exceeding 2 years
- Music education experience
- Degree in Music or Music Education
- Background and familiarity with jazz, jazz artists, and jazz techniques
- Established track record of developing an artistic vision for a community performance ensemble with goals to increase membership numbers, and develop musical skill and the quality of performance
- Submit application materials via Google Form no later than September 1, 2022.
- Complete application includes submission of requested information, resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references that can speak to your qualifications for this position
- We anticipate interviews will be conducted via an online meeting platform between September 11 – 24. The number of rounds of interviews will be dependent on the number of applications received.
- Candidates selected to continue after interviews will be asked to audition before the Jazz Band on Wednesday, September 28 or Wednesday, October 5.
- After auditions, an offer will be made to the selected candidate with hopes of a new Jazz Band Director in place in time to perform at the joint ensemble Holiday Concert in December.
Please reach out to Meredith Carpenter, Past President, with questions related to the Jazz Band Director search process at firstname.lastname@example.org.